Gold Star Parents, Spouses, & Children may qualify for a Gold Star License Plate under RCW 46.18.245. These plates honor parents, spouses and children of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country.
You may request your Gold Star License Plate Certification
letter from WDVA by using this form (PDF).
Once the certification letter is received, the Gold Star family member may take the letter to any vehicle licensing office to order their Gold Star License Plate.
To qualify for Gold Star license plates, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as being 1 of the following to a United States armed forces member who died while in the service, or as a result of their service:
- Widow or widower
- Birth mother or birth father
- Stepmother or stepfather
- Mother or father through adoption
- Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
- Biological child
- Adopted child
How to apply
- Request a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying you’re a qualifying widow, widower, parent, or child of a member of the United States armed services.
- Complete a Military License Plate Application.
- Contact your local vehicle licensing office to find out how much your plates will cost, including all licensing and service fees.
- Submit the letter from Department of Veterans Affairs, your completed application, a copy of your vehicle registration, and fees:
If you want to personalize your plates
You may get personalized plates with a Gold Star background design for an additional fee:
- Additional $42 for registrations that expire before October 1, 2013.
- Additional $52 for registrations that expire on or after October 1, 2013.
For details and how to apply, see Personalized plates with a special background design.
Remember to update your Good To Go! account
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:
How to renew
There are no special requirements for renewing Gold Star Parent license plates. You can:
There is no additional fee for a Gold Star Parent background design, but you must still pay all required vehicle registration and tab renewal fees. (Registration and tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.)
Please contact your Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs at:
1-800-562-0132 option ‘1’ if you have questions or need additional information.