Gold Star Parent License Plates
In 2008, the Washington State Legislature approved a license plate for Gold Star Parents. The plates honor parents of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country.
Unveiling Ceremony video (2:19)
Gold Star Parents may request their Gold Star License Plate Certification letter from WDVA by using this form (PDF).
Once the certification letter is received, the Gold Star Parent may take the letter to any vehicle licensing office to order their Gold Star License Plate.
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions on the Gold Star License Plate.
New WAC 308-96A-545 Gold Star Parent License Plate
(1) What is a Gold Star Parent license plate?
The Gold Star Parent license plate was created by the Legislature to recognize the parents of United States Armed forces members who have died while in service to their country or as a result of such service.
(2) Who qualifies as a parent of a member of the United State Armed Forces?
The term "parent", as defined by The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs, (WDVA) includes:
(a) Birth mother,
(b) Birth father,
(e) Mother through adoption,
(f) Father through adoption, and
(g) Adults who fulfilled the parental role including foster parents and kinship care providers or caretaker relative. (Documentation required)
(3) Who can purchase a Gold Star Parent plate?
A resident of this state and a registered owner of a motorized vehicle who is a parent of a member of the United States armed forces who has died while in service to their country or as a result of such service. The parent must be certified by the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA).
(4) What is required to purchase a Gold Star Parent plate?
A copy of the letter to a qualifying parent provided by WDVA is required. The letter will be used in lieu of a special plate application to purchase the plate. No other documentation is required.
(5) Can a Gold Star Parent plate be transferred to a new owner?
No. The plate may only be transferred to a vehicle owned by the same registered owner who was certified as a qualifying parent by WDVA. The plate cannot be transferred to a different registered owner. If the parent transfers the plate to a new car registered to them, they are required to pay the plate transfer fee.
(6) What vehicles qualify to display a Gold Star Parent plate?
Motorized vehicles required to display one or two license plates.
(7) What fees are required to purchase the plate?
There is no special plate fee or special plate renewal fee for the Gold Star Parent plate. The registered owner must pay all licensing fees.
(8) Is the plate subject to the mandatory plate replacement?
Yes, the plate must be replaced every seven years due to mandatory plate replacement requirements. Customers will not be charged the plate replacement fees, or the fee to keep their same number.
(9) Can a Gold Star plate background be personalized?
Yes. A Gold Star plate background can be personalized; however, the customer is required to pay all fees associated with a personalized plate original purchase or renewal.
(10) Is a commercial vehicle eligible for a Gold Star Parent plate as long as it is in the name of the qualifying parent and not a business name?
(11) Can a prorated vehicle display a Gold Star Parent plate if the vehicle is under the name of the parent that is eligible for this plate?
Please contact your Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs at:
No per RCW 46.87.
1-800-562-0132 option ‘1’ if you have questions or need additional information.