Gold Star Plate

Gold Star Parents, Spouses, Children, and Siblings may qualify for a Gold Star License Plate under RCW 46.18.245.  These plates honor parents, spouses, children, and siblings of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country. 


To qualify for Gold Star license plates, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as being 1 of the following to a United States armed forces member who died while in the service, or as a result of their service:

  • Widow or widower (If the servicemember died as a result of their service, please include verification such as eligibility for DIC, or other documentation which identifies a service connected disability as the cause of death. Call 1-800-562-0132 option 1 if you have questions or need assistance.)
  • Birth mother or birth father
  • Stepmother or stepfather
  • Mother or father through adoption (Additional documentation required.)
  • Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
  • Biological child
  • Adopted child
  • Sibling


Widows(ers) do not pay any registration or plate fees for one Gold Star License Plate or regular license plate. (If you received your Gold Star License and permenant tab and then received a bill from the Department of Licensing for registration fees, please contact us at 1-800-562-0132 option '1' so that we can work with the Department of Licensing to update the system to reflect your exempt status. If you had exempt status and alread paid the registration fees, you can request a refund using this form and indicating in the 'Other' section that you have a Gold Star License Plate with exempt status.)

For all other individuals eligible for Gold Star License Plates, there is no additional fee for the Gold Star background design, but you must still pay all required vehicle registration and tab renewal fees.  Visit for additional information. (Registration and tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.) 

Personalized Plates

You may get personalized plates with a Gold Star background design for an additional fee:

  • Additional $52 for registrations that expire on or after October 1, 2013.

For details and how to apply, see Personalized plates with a special background design.

Remember to update your Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:

How to Apply

Request a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying you are eligible for a Gold Star License Plate.

Take the letter from Department of Veterans Affairs, a Military License Plate Application, a copy of your vehicle registration, and any applicable fees to a vehicle licensing office.


Mail them to:
Vehicle Licensing
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500

How to renew

There are no special requirements for renewing Gold Star Parent license plates. You can: