Veterans Records

Request a copy of your Military Service Records - DD214

Request copies of your Military Medical and Health Records

How to Replace Military Awards, Medals, and Decorations

Public Disclosure of DD214 / How to exempt a DD214 from Public Disclosure in Washington State

History: The 2002 Legislature passed ESHB 2453, exempting veterans' records from public disclosure. The law made the following changes to Washington State Law:

Veterans’ discharge papers filed with county auditors after June 30, 2002, are no longer public records. Discharge papers filed with county auditors prior to June 30, 2002, that are not commingled with other records are exempt from disclosure.

Discharge papers filed prior to June 30, 2002, that are commingled with other records are exempt from release to the public provided the veteran files a "request for exemption from public disclosure of discharge papers" with the county auditor.

County auditors may charge a basic recording fee and preservation fee, not to exceed $7 in total, to veterans who file this request. The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs, in consultation with the Washington State Association of County Auditors will develop and distribute to county auditors the exemption form.

Veterans’ discharge papers may be released to the veteran, the veteran’s next of kin, a deceased veteran’s properly appointed personal representative or executor, a person holding the veteran’s general power of attorney, or anyone else designated in writing by the veteran to receive the records. County auditors will develop a form for requestors of military discharge papers to verify that the requestor is authorized to receive or view the military discharge papers.


What Discharge Papers Are Public?

Military discharge papers filed at the office of the county auditor before July 1, 2002 and that have been commingled with other recorded documents

What Discharge Papers Are Not Public? more