WDVA Banner photos of homes, cemetery, logo, and people


Property Tax Relief

Disabled Veterans and Widows(ers) – who are receiving DIC – Eligibility for Property Tax Relief

Disposable income is used to determine eligibility for certain property tax relief programs. 
Veterans’ disability compensation and dependency and indemnity compensation are not included when calculating disposable income. 

Is my military retirement pay or disability compensation counted as combined disposable income for the purposes of property tax relief?
Yes. Military retirement pay is included in disposable income, but veterans’ disability benefits and dependency and indemnity compensation are excluded.  (Disposable income in 2010 is used to determine eligibility for tax relief in 2011.)

If my disability rating is less than 100 percent, will my disability compensation still be excluded from my disposable income?
Yes. There is no requirement for a specific disability rating.  This type of income is excluded regardless of the rating. 

What are the eligibility requirements for the Property Tax Exemption Program?
To qualify for the Exemption Program, you must be at least 61 years of age OR disabled OR a disabled veteran with a 100 percent service-connected disability.  You must also own and occupy your residence and your combined disposable income must be $35,000 or less. 

Are there other programs I may be eligible for?
Yes, the following programs are available:

  • Exemption Program for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons, and Veterans with 100% Service-Connected Disability
  • Deferral Program for Senior Citizens and Disabled Persons
  • Deferral Program for Homeowners with Limited Income
  • Assistance Program for Widows and Widowers of Veterans

Where can I find the necessary forms and application due dates?
Forms and publications are available at your county assessor’s office or on the Department of Revenue website at: http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/propertytax/incentiveprograms.aspx

If you need an application form or have questions about the application process, please contact your local county assessor.  You can find the phone number on your annual notice of assessed value or by looking in the local county government pages of your telephone book. 



Visit the Department of Revenue Website for more detailed publications and applications for property tax relief programs:


For more information or assistance contact the Department of Revenue at (360)534-1400.