Washington State is the first in the nation to develop a way to make long-term care affordable for all workers in the state as we age.
The WA Cares FundSM is a new fund to which we all contribute while we are working, and through which we can access long-term care when we need it.
Do my VA benefits qualify me for the exemption?
To qualify for an exemption, you must:
- Have long-term care insurance in place or purchased before Nov. 1, 2021
- Be at least 18 and
- Apply to ESD for an exemption
VA benefits aren’t a ‘one-size fits all’ type of benefit. Not everyone who’s eligible for VA benefits may be eligible for long-term care services. To find out if your benefits include long-term care, please go to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Veterans Homes | WDVA (wa.gov) where long-term care is referenced for veterans who are rated 70 to 100 percent Service Connected Disabled. If you have a disability rating of 70-100 percent and you have long-term care available to you through the VA, you will qualify for an exemption if you choose to apply. Exemption applications will be available from Oct. 1, 2021 through Dec. 31, 2022.
Need more info?
- Visit our Learn More page to read our frequently asked questions, including specific questions about exemptions.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team at the Employment Security Department will follow up with you.
- Call the Employment Security Department’s WA Cares representatives at the (833) 717-2273.