Gold Star Plate
Gold Star Parents, Spouses, Children, and Siblings may qualify for a Gold Star License Plate under RCW 46.18.245. These plates honor parents, spouses, children, and siblings of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country.
To qualify for Gold Star license plates, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as being 1 of the following to a United States armed forces member who died while in the service, or as a result of their service:
- Widow or widower (If the servicemember died as a result of their service, please include verification such as eligibility for DIC, or other documentation which identifies a service connected disability as the cause of death. Call 1-800-562-0132 option 1 if you have questions or need assistance.)
- Birth mother or birth father
- Stepmother or stepfather
- Mother or father through adoption (Additional documentation required.)
- Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
- Biological child
- Adopted child
Fees (The legislature passed SHB 1197 during the 2019 Session. This bill will change the way fees are charged for Gold Star License Plates.)
Fees starting July 28, 2019:
Gold Star Widow/Widower
|Fees||Fee charged?||Fee charged?|
|License Plate Fee||No||No|
|$30 Annual Registration Fee||No||Yes|
|Service Fees - $8.75||No||Yes|
|Personalized Plate Fee||Yes||Yes|
|Motor Vehicle Excise Tax (MVET)||No||Yes|
|# of Vehicles Eligible for fee exemption||1*||1|
*A qualified widow, a widower, a biological parent, an adoptive parent, a stepparent, or an adult in loco parentis or foster parent applicant may purchase additional Gold Star license plates without payment of any license plate fees, but the applicant must pay all other fees and taxes required by law for registering the motor vehicle.
*Gold Star Widows and widowers who choose instead to receive a standard license plate or any other qualifying special license plate are exempt from payment of all licensing fees.
You may get personalized plates with a Gold Star background design for an additional fee:
- Additional $52 for registrations that expire on or after October 1, 2013.
For details and how to apply, see Personalized plates with a special background design.
Remember to update your Good To Go! account
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:
- Online: www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/
- By phone: 1-866-936-8246
How to Apply
Request a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying you are eligible for a Gold Star License Plate.
Mail them to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 9...read more