Gold Star Plate
Gold Star Parents, Spouses, Children, and Siblings may qualify for a Gold Star License Plate under RCW 46.18.245. These plates honor parents, spouses, children, and siblings of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country.
To qualify for Gold Star license plates, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as being 1 of the following to a United States armed forces member who died while in the service, or as a result of their service:
- Widow or widower (If the servicemember died as a result of their service, please include verification such as eligibility for DIC, or other documentation which identifies a service connected disability as the cause of death. Call 1-800-562-0132 option 1 if you have questions or need assistance.)
- Birth mother or birth father
- Stepmother or stepfather
- Mother or father through adoption (Additional documentation required.)
- Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
- Biological child
- Adopted child
Widows(ers) do not pay any registration or plate fees for one Gold Star License Plate or regular license plate. (If you received your Gold Star License and permenant tab and then received a bill from the Department of Licensing for registration fees, please contact us at 1-800-562-0132 option '1' so that we can work with the Department of Licensing to update the system to reflect your exempt status. If you had exempt status and alread paid the registration fees, you can request a refund using this form http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420454.pdf and indicating in the 'Other' section that you have a Gold Star License Plate with exempt status.)
For all other individuals eligible for Gold Star License Plates, there is no additional fee for the Gold Star background design, but you must still pay all required vehicle registration and tab renewal fees. Visit http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spgoldstar.html for additional information. (Registration and tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.)
You may get personalized plates with a Gold Star background design for an additional fee:
- Additional $52 for registrations that expire on or after October 1, 2013.
For details and how to apply, see Personalized plates with a special background design.
Remember to update your Good To Go! account
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:
- Online: www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/
- By phone: 1-866-936-8246
How to Apply
Request a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying you are eligible for a Gold Star License Plate.
Mail them to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500
How to renew
There are no special requirements for renewing Gold Star Parent license plates. You can:
- Renew online.
- Renew at a vehicle licensing office. (An additional service fee may apply.)
- Renew by mail, following the instructions on your vehicle renewal notice.
1-800-562-0132 option ‘1’