State Celebrates 3000 Veterans Hired through YesVets Initiative
OLYMPIA – Leaders from the Employment Security Department, chambers of commerce, Washington Department of Veterans Affairs and Washington State Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) join Washington State employers and veterans in celebrating the hiring of the 3,000th veteran through YesVets – a statewide initiative to recognize businesses that hire veterans.
Since the state launched the initiative in 2016, over 700 businesses have joined YesVets and hired 3,000 veterans.
What is YesVets?
YesVets is a veteran hiring campaign, created by the Legislature and supported by ESD, DVA, WorkSource, the Washington State Military Transition Council, Washington State SHRM and local chambers of commerce.
ESD Veterans staff recognize Washington employers with a YesVets business decal when they sign up and hire a veteran. They generally receive their decals at a local chamber of commerce meeting or at their place of business then they’re featured on social media with the #YesVets hashtag. Businesses may receive a new decal each year they participate in the program.
Notable YesVets Talking Points
· Washington State is urging businesses to say “yes” to the state’s veterans when filling open positions.
· Employers who hire a veteran are recognized with a YesVets window decal and vehicle bumper sticker they can display at their business to demonstrate support for America’s service members.
· Employers are recognized each year they hire a veteran with annual decals that can be displayed next to the YesVets decal.
· Employers who wish to participate should visit http://www.yesvets.org to sign up.
· We hope YesVets will increase the number of veterans who find great jobs, and also encourage returning veterans to consider starting their own veteran-owned business.
· We have skilled local veterans employment representatives in every community, helping our state’s veterans find great jobs every day.
· Veterans who come into WorkSource offices, work with staff who are also veterans and who understand the skills and abilities they bring to the workforce.
YesVets Key Messages
· Hiring veterans is not just good for our country. It’s good for business.
· Military personnel learn multiple skills and are experienced in transitioning to and from various tasks and responsibilities.
· Veterans have a work history, understand what it means to put in a hard day's work and appreciate the satisfaction of a job well done.
· Say YesVets! and show your state and community you hire vets with pride.
· We know that hiring veterans is a great way to tap an already skilled talent pool and to retain a diverse labor force in our state
Awards and Events
· YesVets received the 2016 International Association of Workforce Professionals Group Services to Veterans Award.
· YesVets received the 2017 Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Puget Sound Totem Award for Community Relations.
· Two annual YesVets Recognition Events held at the Capitol in Olympia to recognize and thank employers in the program
· Former Seattle Seahawks Player Ricardo Lockette assists with PSA in 2017
· YesVets present at all Operation: GoodJobs Networking Events, 2016 & 2017 JBLM Transition Summits and dozens of other veteran-related job fairs.
Follow YesVets on social media: