WDVA’s Spirit of Giving: Washington Department of Veterans Affairs Combined Fund Drive Awards
By WDVA Director, Alfie Alvarado-Ramos
In addition to being some of the best employees around, our WDVA team is also one of the most generous!
During the 2018 Combined Fund Drive Campaign, 425 employees donated nearly $40,000 and 30 volunteer hours to CFD Charities. That is more than half of our agency’s employees reaching into their own paychecks and committing their valuable time to help others in our communities!
This year, WDVA’s own CFD charity received more than $6,500 in donations allowing us to serve more veterans in need of housing and other essential services.
The Office of Secretary of State Kim Wyman runs the CFD in Washington and this year’s theme of “Find Your Why” resonated with public employees who collectively raised 5.4 Million.
At a recent recognition event in Olympia, WDVA was honored with several awards:
· Highest Participation from a Large Agency 52.52%
· CFD Team of the Year - Rene Morales, Liza Narciso, and Gary Lott
· Local Coordinator of the Year - Barbara Holbrook Washington Veterans Home
· Local Coordinator Team of the Year - Fia Jensen and Katheline Washburn Walla Walla Veterans Home
Click here for event photos: https://www.facebook.com/154014611306613/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2543628642345186
In order to engage every employee in our WDVA Offices, four State Veterans Homes, and State Veterans Cemetery, local CFD coordinators put on 27 different fundraising events. Ranging from bake sales to community carnivals, these events are great ways for our teams to come together and support the community organizations they are passionate about.
- Washington Department of Veterans Affairs Combined Fund Drive Coordinators:
- Port Orchard Veterans Home - Barbara Holbrook
- Washington Soldiers Home - Robert Pence
- Spokane - Tracey Smith, Mona Robinson
- Walla Walla - Fia Jensen, Katheline Washburn
- CO - Rene Morales, Liza Narciso, Gary Lott
Along with our executive team, Cemetery Director and Administrators at the Veterans Homes, I would like to give a special thanks to our local coordinators and every WDVA Team Member for helping make 2018 a great one for our charities!
Find out more about the Combined Fund Drive and how your charity could be listed at: www.cfd.wa.gov