Service and Companion Animals

Laws and Rules on Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals


The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is a federal agency that administers the Fair Housing Act (FHA). Under the FHA, a service animal is defined as an animal that is a necessary reasonable accommodation for a person with a disability. Emotional support animals and comfort animals ARE included in the HUD definition and are therefore allowed into a person's dwelling.

There should be no "pet fee" for the service animal. The person with the disability must request the animal as a reasonable accommodation for the disability, and must be able to show that the animal is necessary because of the person's disability. 

How to Find an Animal:

  • There is no accrediting body to monitor organizations who train service animals in the State of Washington. Assistance Dogs International (ADI) is an organization whose mission it is to ensure a service animal organization does adhere to quality standards where "dogs are treated humanely, clients are treated with respect and dignity and training is delivered in a professional way at all times.” If you are considering a service animal organization as a resource then the information shared at the ADI website ( may be of value to your decision-making process. 
  • Companion Animal Adoption Programs: