The Veterans Farm focuses on teaching veterans interested in agricultural industries how to thrive.
There are several plots available for veterans to explore farming as a future.
Check the WDVA Calendar for Upcoming classes!
The following proposed uses are possibilities for further development:
- Wildcrafting of Mushrooms & Berries
- Coppices of Ash, Willow and other Natives for Fodder, Biomass, Biochar
- Multi-functional Hedgerow Conservation Plantings for Food, Fiber, Medicinals, Habitat and Erosion Control
- DOT/ CNLM Native Seed Nursery at East end of Agriculture Lots (see #5)
- Six 1⁄2 acre Agriculture Lots for Veteran Production
- Wildcraft Seed Nursery on Back 5 Acres
- Production for Soldier's Home Kitchen from Agriculture Land
- Salvage Demolition of House on Back 5 acres and of Garfeild Barracks with Team Rubicon, etc.
- Rearing Livestock in Pasture and Forested Edges for Blackberry, White Oak, Scotch Broom Control
- Value Added Deciduous Tree Milling
- Biochar Production
- Swale and Hugel Building as Erosion Control and Drought Mitigation
- Use of Scotch Broom and Other Aggressive Plants as Biomass/Volatile Oil Crop Production
- Animal Feed Production, Including Aggressives and Conservation Crops: Ash, Grains, Oak, Duckweed, Dock, Etc.
- Trail Building and Plant Salvage
- Mushroom & Berry Cultivation
- Aboriculture & Silviculture Training
- Challenge Ropes Course
- Aquaculture Program at Fish Pond
- Compost Facility
- WSU Puyallup Campus Connection
- Tree Seed and Nut Cropping
- Draft/Therapy Horse Logging and Field Management
- Green Building Program to Build Needed Facilities for Program.
- + several others!
Our deepest gratitude goes out to the following who sent hundreds of volunteers and supplies to make this project a reality!
- Home Depot
- Team Rubicon
- The Mission Continues
- Vets Cafe
Veterans in Agriculture
Farmer Veterans Coalition
Looking to enter a diverse field where you are part of a community that works hard and makes a positive impact on America’s food supply. The Farmer Veterans Coalition is there to help you transition from military service to one of the many career opportunities available in the Ag industry.
Small Farm Marketing
This WSDA program works to make small farms economically viable, build strong communities and improve the quality of the environment.
Farm to School Program
The WSDA program fosters relationships between state schools and agricultural producers to expand opportunities for farmers while educating students about how food, farming, health, and the environment are connected.
Farm to Farmer
Farm to Farmer is a land matching project that includes personalized assistance from experienced farmers, as well as an online tool to facilitate matches. This project aims to connect new and expanding farmers with the land opportunities they need to grow their businesses and help retiring farmers transfer their land to the next generation.
Homegrown by Heroes
The official brand of American veteran farmers, the HBH logo lets consumers know what products are produced by military veterans. It's available to farmers, ranchers, fishermen, and producers of all branches and eras of military service.
The entry portal for accessing the federal Department of Agriculture's range of assistance for veterans getting into agriculture - including where to find your local Service Center.
Armed to Farm
Tutorials, publications and technical assistance on sustainable and organic agriculture.