Get latest updates, multilingual resources, and details of Gov. Inslee's Stay Home, Stay Healthy order:

WDVA COVID-19 Updates for State Veterans Homes, THP, and WDVA Offices

Services available during COVID-19 Central Office is video, phone, and email appointments only.  1-800-562-2308 or


WA Cares Fund - Learn More - Exemption Process

LEARN MORE – WA Cares Fund

Washington State is the first in the nation to develop a way to make long-term care affordable for all workers in the state as we age.

The WA Cares FundSM is a new fund to which we all contribute while we are working, and through which we can access long-term care when we need it.

Do my VA benefits qualify me for the exemption?
To qualify for an exemption, you must:

  • Have long-term care insurance in place or purchased before Nov. 1, 2021
  • Be at least 18 and
  • Apply to ESD for an exemption

VA benefits aren’t a ‘one-size fits all’ type of benefit. Not everyone who’s eligible for VA benefits may be eligible for long-term care services. To find out if your benefits include long-term care, please go to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Veterans Homes | WDVA ( where long-term care is referenced for veterans who are rated 70 to 100 percent Service Connected Disabled. If you have a disability rating of 70-100 percent and you have long-term care available to you through the VA, you will qualify for an exemption if you choose to apply. Exemption applications will be available from Oct. 1, 2021 through Dec. 31, 2022.

I'm a federal employee.  Can I participate in WA Cares?
WA Cares is not available to federal government employees, including active duty military employees.  If, however, you work for a military department that is considered a Washington state employer, you will be included in WA Cares Fund.

How to apply for exemption

Need a summary of VA benefits as proof for exemption? 

  1. Got to and Click on link for VA Letters Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the blue bar that says “Generate Benefit Summary Letter.”
  2. Or call 1-800-827-1000.

Need more info?
  • Visit our Learn More page to read our frequently asked questions, including specific questions about exemptions.
  • Email and a member of our team at the Employment Security Department will follow up with you.
  • Call the Employment Security Department’s WA Cares representatives at the (833) 717-2273.