POW/MIA FLAG DISPLAY REMINDER via Governor Jay Inslee
In 2017 the State Legislature passed a bill that became RCW 1.20.017. This measure directs that every state agency, institution of higher education and every county, city, and town shall display the national league of families POW/MIA flag along with the state and national flags on certain days each year.
The purpose of this notification is to inform you of the designated days for 2020. These days are:
• Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day on March 30
• Former Prisoners of War Day on April 9
• Armed Forces Day on the third Saturday in May
• Memorial Day on the last Monday in May
• Flag Day on June 14
• Independence Day on July 4
• National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day on July 27
• National POW/MIA Recognition Day on the third Friday in September
• Veterans’ Day on November 11
• Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day on December 7
When the designated day falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the POW/MIA flag will be displayed on the preceding Friday and may remain up over the weekend. Please note that the POW/MIA flag should be flown under the flag of the United States.
We appreciate your efforts to appropriately recognize our Prisoners of War and those Missing in Action